Signs and Symptoms of Meth Use
Worried that a friend or family member has started using crystal meth?
Keep reading to get a better understanding of this dangerous drug and how you can spot the signs and symptoms of meth use.
Hi there. My name is Alex Key and I lost a beloved sister to meth abuse. I know first hand what this drug is capable of and how quickly it can destroy relationships and lives.
Today I want to help others learn the signs and symptoms of a meth user so they can hopefully intervene before this nasty drug ruins another life.
What Does Meth Look Like and How Is It Taken
Here are some images so you know what to look for.
These are just some examples of what meth looks like, but can sometimes differ in color and size.
If you find any kind of substance that looks like these images, I recommend taking it to the police.
Ways People Take Meth
There are many ways people take or consume meth and some methods are more dangerous than others.
- Eating it
- Snorting it
- Plugging (inserting into the anus)
- Hot-railing (similar to snorting, only you use a stem pipe that has been heated)
- Smoking via a pipe
- Injecting with a syringe
Each method said to give a different “high”.
Signs And Symptoms: What To Look For..
There are a few things you can look for to determine if someone is using methamphetamine’s.
Keep an eye out for the following:
- Change in mood or mood swings
- Violent or aggressive behaviour
- They become paranoid
- Lack of concentration or get confused easily
- Dilated pupils
- Loss of appetite
- Heavy sweating
- Sudden weight loss
- Sores or scabs around the face
- Markings on the arm from using needles
- Regular nose bleeds
You may also find some tell tail signs of meth use if you come across any of the following:
- Small bags with traces of white powder or crystals
- Glass pipes
- Crumpled aluminium foil
- Soda cans with a hole in the side
- Traces of powder on cards like a bank or credit card.
- Shafts of pens, short straws or money with powder residue. (things that might be used to snort the drug)
Meth users go for long periods of time without sleep or eating. Because of this they often lose weight fast.
They also appear unusually active, irritable and can also act very nervous or anxious.
Side Effects Of Meth
Because meth is made from toxic chemicals, it is sure to have some damaging side effects, especially for heavy users.
Some side effects include:
- psychosis, including:
- repetitive motor activity
- changes in brain structure and function
- memory loss
- aggressive or violent behavior
- mood disturbances
- severe dental problems
- weight loss
- sleeplessness and insomnia
- decreased appetite
- increased respiration
- rapid/irregular heartbeat
- change in physical appearance
A regular meth users appearance can change rapidly.
Have a look at some of the before and after photos of heavy methamphetamine users in this Youtube video.
So What Can You Do?
If you believe a friend or family member is using meth there are a few things you can do. BUT, it’s important to know that most meth addicts will refuse any kind of help and will often live in denial.
Rehab and addiction treatment centres:
Mental health professionals: